Was your lunch healthy?

12346»

Replies

• kissa714 wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    jplis wrote: »
    Analyze and reflect on your lunch choice for today. Is it healthy? Let's discuss in a paragraph.

Be careful with that word. Healthy? Hm. You can eat 1,000 calories worth of food that is considered 'healthy' and go over your deficit and have a bad macro balance. Or you can eat a meal that some would consider 'unhealthy' that stays within your calorie goals, and maintains your calorie goals.
    say you eat a whole avocado, and have several stalks of celery filled with natural peanut butter. Dip some baby carrots in hummus, drink some homemade lemonade with it. have a plate of fresh cut fruit. toss in a couple of handsful of almonds. you've got a lot of calories in this one meal, a lot of fat and sugar. but a lot of people would call this a 'healthy' meal.
    Now have a small burger made with a slice of deli cheese on a bun with a small order of fries on the side. Put lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and onions on the burger, and you've got a very well-rounded meal, macro-wise. Protein, carbs, fat, and it's about 600 calories, if you kept it to a decent size.
    see how it can be a misconception to call things healthy or unhealthy?
    Who cares about macro balance? And what does this MFP know about being healthy anyway? When i first signed up for it it had me eating 1200 calories a day which was pretty much starving myself to lose weight even with the extra calories that i burned at the gym. anyway my point is fresh veggies are always going go be "healthier" than french fries and mccdonalds "meat". plus if you're really worried about balancing macros you can always account for that later in the day.

MFP sets goals based on the information that users put in. 1200 is often a default for people who are short, sedentary, and/or who put in aggressive weight loss targets. Don't blame MFP for giving you 1200, it is simply a calculator that responds to your inputs.

Many people care about balancing their macros. It is one of the more common programs utilized here on MFP.

Fresh veggies are not healthier than McDonalds if I am short on protein for the day. In the context of your overall diet, individual foods are not healthy or unhealthy.

• Yup. I had a nice box with a carrot, some cherry tomatoes and two low-fat frankfurters. I did have some chocolate biscuits in the afternoon but they were within my calories.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Broke my daily fast at 2pm with double chocolate almond ice cream, on a sugar cone :p I did have to walk a mile each way to the ice cream shop, so I think that makes it healthy right? It's been one of those days lol.
  • Had my standard beef jerky, fruit(banana today), and greek yogurt(Chobani Coconut Blend today).
  • It depends on how you look at it. Today was two slices of pizza (work lunch) with spinach, feta and 1/2 an avocado. The old me would have had four slices of pizza.
  • Cheetos and watermelon. Made me happy. :)
  • Not really.

Morningstar veggie patty on a 100 cal thin bagel along with a slice of American cheese and yellow mustard. Side of low-fat Pringles. Diet Pepsi.
  • Yup. Included Doritos, Oreos, veggies, and hit my macro and caloric target.