daily weigh ins make me want to smash things like Hulk.

13»

Replies

• salembambi wrote: »
    my weight is constantly fluctuating 1-4 sometimes 6 pounds up and down

if you cant deal with it dont weigh every day

Conventional wisdom is that weighing yourself once per week fixes/hides the fluctuations. This is not necessarily the case at all.
  • I weigh daily and it fluctuates daily. I know and understand this and the reasons why it happens. It does not upset me. It's just information. I know if I have been doing what I need to do or not. The scale does not tell me that.

If you are bothered by the daily weigh-ins, then don't do them. Weigh only once a week if you don't want to see the daily fluctuations.
  • Water retention can cause misleading measurments. If it really bothers you, if you can't look past the spikes logically, don't weigh yourself everyday.

"Doing X really bothers me and can ruin my whole day."

"Stop doing X."
  • I love daily weigh-ins! They give me lots of data for my spreadsheets to crunch. More data helps me more accurately calculate my calorie needs. (Plus, I like to make graphs!) :D

6r3g3djjc36p.jpg
    ym4g92elzgg2.jpg
    nwi4h4nwvass.jpg
  • I so understand this. Once upon a time I weighed myself every day, but it lead to some serious dysfunction for me and eventually I gave up. Now I weigh myself maybe once a month and often longer. I know I am sticking to my kilojoule limit and exercise program because of MFP and my Misfit. I also know I am losing weight because my clothes seem to be stretching in the washing machine. :smile: I know that if I weigh myself too often those fluctuations would derail me.
  • Wake up in the morning, go toilet then bath or shower, dry off, stand in only undies and on the scale I go. Weight goes down for me every day but I only weigh-in maybe weekly or two-weely so I don't lose focus and to remind myself that I have lost weight. Scale can lie sometimes but hey its no biggie. If you losing weight and you see and feel the difference it feels better than the number on the scales. After I weigh I reward myself with a cold drink of water and then breakfast.
  • Love/hate the scale (mostly hate) - so I weigh once every two weeks or less. But I pay a lot of attention to how my clothes look & feel.
  • I've been on this journey since mid March and at first I was weighing in daily. You know how it goes at first, the weight just seems to fall off when you find something that works. A month or so goes by and the weight is not coming off as fast. This is to be expected but still kind of sucks.

So. It's morning. I'm standing on the scale, staring at the calendar where I record my weight every day, crossing my fingers, holding my breath aaaaaand here comes the readout. dammit. I weigh one more pound than I did yesterday. I'm trying not to be disappointed because I know within the span of the week my weight does not steadily go down. sometimes it goes up sometimes it stays the same but I still see progress from week to week. I mean, how did I get to a point in my life where one-pound can be the difference between the start of a great day and a Day when I want to punch somebody in the face?

My question is this for those of you who weigh yourself daily: do you have a similar experience? Do you have days where inexplicably your weight will go up and then a day when it will suddenly drop?

Are there people out there who weight simply decreases over time without these odd spikes?

For those of you who do not weigh your self daily how often do you weigh yourself? How do you resist the siren call of this stupid scale?

I weigh myself every day when I am on a rotation. I don't weigh myself when I am off diet. I record all calorie intake and exercises and everything I eat or drink. If my weigh goes up which it rarely does now, I know why immediately.