Have fun but don't let Cinco de Mayo derail you

Many people in the US celebrate Cinco de Mayo as a day of indulgence, usually with high calorie foods and alcohol. Many don't even know why the holiday exists, but justifies the party that goes with it. Alcohol plays a big part in it and contributes to your calorie goal. Excess within control. Have fun, but be safe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• :drinker:
  • I'm on a no drinking kick right now so today I say HOLD DE MAYO! Hah, I kill me. >_<
  • It's not a thing where I am, and we have an election today! I get to vote for the first time so I need to be sober and clear-headed!
    Have fun everyone!
  • ninerbuff wrote: »
    Many people in the US celebrate Cinco de Mayo as a day of indulgence, usually with high calorie foods and alcohol. Many don't even know why the holiday exists, but justifies the party that goes with it. Alcohol plays a big part in it and contributes to your calorie goal. Excess within control. Have fun, but be safe.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's my birthday. You're welcome, everyone!
  • Never celebrated it.
  • It can be fun esp if you love Mexican style food...
  • DirrtyH wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Happy Birthday!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• I think it's odd so many Americans choose to celebrate days that have roots in countries they have no ties to. I know so many people in my area who are dead set against immigration policies because they don't want more illegal Mexicans in the country, yet they are the first ones out at the bars drinking it up and munching on nachos on Cinco de Mayo. lol wut?
  • mccindy72 wrote: »
    I think it's odd so many Americans choose to celebrate days that have roots in countries they have no ties to. I know so many people in my area who are dead set against immigration policies because they don't want more illegal Mexicans in the country, yet they are the first ones out at the bars drinking it up and munching on nachos on Cinco de Mayo. lol wut?

I wonder which people you speak of?
    I think it's odd so many Americans choose to celebrate days that have roots in countries they have no ties to. I know so many people in my area who are dead set against immigration policies because they don't want more illegal Mexicans in the country, yet they are the first ones out at the bars drinking it up and munching on nachos on Cinco de Mayo. lol wut?
    lol wut? Mexicans following immigration policies wouldn't be illegal.

Cinco de Mayo is simply a marketing holiday. As if I need another reason to eat Tex-Mex and drink tequila.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

High-horse.jpg
    Yep yep. One of my cousins is a hard core right winger and anti liberal, but will celebrate today. Lol, he's such a hypocrite.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

lol wut? Mexicans following immigration policies wouldn't be illegal.

Cinco de Mayo is simply a marketing holiday. As if I need another reason to eat Tex-Mex and drink tequila.

Of course, you're a Texan. Imagine that. An entire country would disagree with you as to the origins of Cinco de Mayo.
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Yep yep. One of my cousins is a hard core right winger and anti liberal, but will celebrate today. Lol, he's such a hypocrite.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Maybe you can connect the dots between a Mexican victory in battle over the French and a marketing plan to sell more beer with being a hypocrite for, what, wanting to enforce immigration laws?
  • DirrtyH wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

SAME! Happy Birthday! May your day contain cake and (responsible amounts of) alcohol. :smiley: Mine definitely will be
  • Lois_1989 wrote: »
    DirrtyH wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

SAME! Happy Birthday! May your day contain cake and (responsible amounts of) alcohol. :smiley: Mine definitely will be

giphy.gif
  • There's no real appeal of drinking on a Tuesday night, but someone mentioned nachos & now that is all I can think about lol. I will save calories for that tonight!

Ok ummm Cinco de Mayo is NOT a marketing holiday. Good to know that our schools in Texas are teaching about our neighboring countries history, ha. Cinco de Mayo is a huge celebration in Puebla, Mexico and commemorates the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War (1861-1867). Its actually a HUGE deal in Puebla.

Just because you live in the US doesnt mean you have to be so ignorant about our neighbor's history.

mccindy72 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Maybe you can connect the dots between a Mexican victory in battle over the French and a marketing plan to sell more beer with being a hypocrite for, what, wanting to enforce immigration laws?
    Because my cousin will blame Mexicans who can't speak english well, as being illegal when they may well be legalized citizens. He's happy to pay lower prices for vegetables cultivated by illegal immigrants though. I could be wrong but stereotyping and racism do still exist.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• We are making enchiladas that will fit in my low carb life-style :) We're in SoCal, celebrating cinco de mayo on taco tuesday is like all the stars aligned. Nomzzzzzz