why is myfitnesspal telling me I will gain weight when I keep losing

whenever I enter my eating diary I am advised by the website I will gain weight. In fact I have continued to lose, over 12 kg (26lb??) in past 2+ years?? My exercise has fluctuated through this time and has no effect on rates of loss. I just spent 1 month on bed rest after joint replacements and I continued to lose body fat. I think I know the answer. I have completely cut out carbs (<50g/day max). I eat as much of everything else as I want, particularly going for high fat foods eg full cream lattes, fatty meat, lots of cheese and nuts, eggs++. I never count calories -starving yourself to lose weight is unsustainable. Myfitnesspal unfortunately is stuck on calorie counting as an indicator of dietary needs so keeps telling me I will gain weight. I do love its food data base for calculating my macronutrient intake. My message - if in doubt eat less carbs and more fat!! Switch off your insulin to reduce your hunger and to stop storing fat.

Replies

• "I never count calories"

Hence you're not logging accurately

Hence the mathematical formula spits out a response based on what you enter

For me, and for millions like me, low carb is not the answer because the rebound and eventual weight gain absolutely sucks

You may enjoy the keto group
  • rabbitjb wrote: »
    "I never count calories"

Hence you're not logging accurately

Hence the mathematical formula spits out a response based on what you enter

For me, and for millions like me, low carb is not the answer because the rebound and eventual weight gain absolutely sucks

You may enjoy the keto group

• You might be losing weight, but I would hate to see the results to your blood tests.
  • That's great that you are losing weight, well done :). But, clearly you are eating at a calorie deficit for that to be happening (ie if MFP is telling you you will gain weight but you are losing, your CO is higher than average). Just wanted to clarify that for any newbies who may read this.

Many people find low carb a satisfying way to eat, and if it works for you and them that's awesome. Others find low carb completely unsustainable and that a different macro split works best for them. Personally I do moderate carbs (around 100g, but I'm not worried if I occasionally go over that), and go for higher fat because that works well for me. If you told me I could never have pizza again, I would instantly want ALL the pizza, and eventually fall off the wagon.

At the end of the day it's about finding what works best for you and your goals, and that is different for everyone.

Also, you can't switch off your insulin. That would be very, very bad ;).
  • .... don't people whose bodies switch off insulin... y'know... die?
  • Also, your real TDEE may be higher than the calculator assumes. That's the case for me, too.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    rosemhr wrote: »
    whenever I enter my eating diary I am advised by the website I will gain weight. In fact I have continued to lose, over 12 kg (26lb??) in past 2+ years?? My exercise has fluctuated through this time and has no effect on rates of loss. I just spent 1 month on bed rest after joint replacements and I continued to lose body fat. I think I know the answer. I have completely cut out carbs (<50g/day max). I eat as much of everything else as I want, particularly going for high fat foods eg full cream lattes, fatty meat, lots of cheese and nuts, eggs++. I never count calories -starving yourself to lose weight is unsustainable. Myfitnesspal unfortunately is stuck on calorie counting as an indicator of dietary needs so keeps telling me I will gain weight. I do love its food data base for calculating my macronutrient intake. My message - if in doubt eat less carbs and more fat!! Switch off your insulin to reduce your hunger and to stop storing fat.
    You don't log log fold but some the site is telling you will vain weight? How can it say that if you don't even log? The site isn't stuck on counting calories because that one of the main purposes of it.

You cannot switch of insulin. You cannot stop we store and burn fat all day, it's about peaks and valleys. And FYI dietary fat stored the easiest if you're in a surplus.

Los carb isn't a necessity for weight loss caloric defficient. You're whole starving your body statement is all wrong.
    .... don't people whose bodies switch off insulin... y'know... die?

That person that posted it obviously doesn't now the important factor it plays in our bodies.
  • Eat more fats?????? Whaaaaaaaat. No wonder your making no progress lol.
  • Eat more fats?????? Whaaaaaaaat. No wonder your making no progress lol.

Care for explain?
  • rosemhr wrote: »

Exercise is just the tip of the iceberg, you need to change how you eat, what you eat and your relationship with food to successfully lose weight and keep it off. Even if you don't exercise you can and will lose weight provided you eat less calories than normal. You can google calorie intake to lose weight for some ideas or see a dietian or a dedicated weight loss coach.
    Sounds to me that you are eating a lower calorie intake than before, hence the burning body fat. Its a good idea to log you food on MFP so you can see your estimated calorie intake and have an idea of the calories you burning during exercise (if you wish to do some that it).
    No one said you need to starve yourself to Iose weight, you just need to eat less calories. Some people choose VLCD and LCD to lose weight if they obese to morbidly obese and if they follow the diet given to them by their doctor, dietitian or weight loss consultant they have tons of energy and still lose weight, exercise and feel great. Not advertising or promoting those diets here, just referring to your starving comment.
    There are healthy achievable sustainable ways to lose weight and maintain weight but without determination, hard work, discipline and focus even the best cannot achieve results. Actually, less carbs, less fatty foods and an increase of protein rich foods, provided you eat a calorie deficit will result in weight loss.
    Suggest you look at some success stories and ask the OPs how they achieved their weight loss, do more research and find the diet or lifestyle change that is best for you. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • So, you are using a calorie counting app, and hate that it actually counts calories? Makes perfect sense.
  • I still don't get how counting calories = starving yourself.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    I still don't get how counting calories = starving yourself.

I counted 310 calories of chocolate cake yesterday ... cos cake

did not starve shocker
  • jorinya wrote: »

Exercise is just the tip of the iceberg, you need to change how you eat, what you eat and your relationship with food to successfully lose weight and keep it off. Even if you don't exercise you can and will lose weight provided you eat less calories than normal. You can google calorie intake to lose weight for some ideas or see a dietian or a dedicated weight loss coach.
    Sounds to me that you are eating a lower calorie intake than before, hence the burning body fat. Its a good idea to log you food on MFP so you can see your estimated calorie intake and have an idea of the calories you burning during exercise (if you wish to do some that it).
    No one said you need to starve yourself to Iose weight, you just need to eat less calories. Some people choose VLCD and LCD to lose weight if they obese to morbidly obese and if they follow the diet given to them by their doctor, dietitian or weight loss consultant they have tons of energy and still lose weight, exercise and feel great. Not advertising or promoting those diets here, just referring to your starving comment.
    There are healthy achievable sustainable ways to lose weight and maintain weight but without determination, hard work, discipline and focus even the best cannot achieve results. Actually, less carbs, less fatty foods and an increase of protein rich foods, provided you eat a calorie deficit will result in weight loss.
    Suggest you look at some success stories and ask the OPs how they achieved their weight loss, do more research and find the diet or lifestyle change that is best for you. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
    Weight loss is not the result if perfect macros, caloric deficit is. Eating list carbs just because isn't the key to losing weight. And less fatty for was for the 80's, dietary far is vital to proper health.

• MrM27 wrote: »
    Eat more fats?????? Whaaaaaaaat. No wonder your making no progress lol.

Care for explain?

this syntax, for some reason, made me smile
  • rabbitjb wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Eat more fats?????? Whaaaaaaaat. No wonder your making no progress lol.

Care for explain?

this syntax, for some reason, made me smile

Reminded me of Leo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond speaking pidgen. MrM27 will forever have a South African accent in my head now.
  • I still don't get how counting calories = starving yourself.

Yeah, I'm lost. 500 cal deficit here, and I definitely don't feel like I'm starving.
  • MrM27 wrote: »
    Weight loss is not the result if perfect macros, caloric deficit is. Eating list carbs just because isn't the key to losing weight. And less fatty for was for the 80's, dietary far is vital to proper health.

Did say providing you eat a calorie deficit in my post and also lower calorie intake than normal. Also OP said they don't track their calorie intake and thinks that people who eat a calorie deficit are "starving themselves". That funny, I'm not feeling huggry or starving with my lower calorie intake. Too many calories = weight gain!!!! Fewer calories than normal = weight loss!!! Simple maths!!!
  • Oh, OP, I also note for your month of bed rest, you say you continued to lose body fat. Could you please clarify that? How are you measuring body fat %? And what happened with your weight on the scales, up, down, the same?
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015

Um, this doesn't sound very healthy. It is one approach, sure, but complex carbs still have a very valid place in a healthy balanced diet and are not the root of all evil.

While being a healthy weight is important, the number on the scales is not an absolute indicator of health.

Reading this a couple of points spring to mind for consideration:

>>I just spent 1 month on bed rest after joint replacements and I continued to lose body fat.
    * Probably a good portion of muscle loss too - and were you eating exactly the same amount of calories? How did you know this was only fat loss? Possibly your metabolism was still raised from exercise?

>> Myfitnesspal unfortunately is stuck on calorie counting as an indicator of dietary needs
    * Disagree, it is a tool for you to track whatever your goals align to. For some that might only be sodium intake or the carb:protein ratio

>> I do love its food data base for calculating my macronutrient intake.
    * Again can you be certain these are accurate? Remember these entries are member managed.

I am please you have found a method that works for you, however many people still need to include a balance of all food groups in their diets for good health.