Best exercise with umbilical hernia and diastisis recti

Does anyone any suggestions or knowledge of exercise I can do with an unrepaired umbilical hernia (need to loose 60 lbs before repair) and a 4 finger diastasis recti? My weight is concentrated in abdominal region - look very pregnant. I am walking 5-6 km everyday in effort to lose the weight to get hernia repaired so I can work on my core, but my belly pulls my back forward even when walking. Don't know what to do or what I can do. If I didn't have hernia, I could work on tightening up the core /stomach muscles and do different exercise to get the weight off. (75 lbs) Anyone have knowledge or experience in this area, please?

Replies

• I have the same problem. Sadly there are not many core exercises that will not put a strain on your hernia.

I found that I could do leg lifts...if I only lifted one leg at a time...I can not do both.

I stick to things such as twists...side bends...things such as that. They don't make a massive difference but they are better than nothing.

I try different things...if it feels as if it is too much of a strain...then I stop.

I also wear a control type brief to hold my stomach in place. They keep it supported and not bouncing too much. If you decide to try a pair...just make sure that you don't get on too tight. I bought mine a couple of sizes larger than what I would normally buy.
  • Static planks... Start in modified position... Which would be on knees I push up position and try to activate transverse abdominals by pulling your stomach in towards you backbone... Hold for 10-15 secs.. If it doesn't bother you slowly add time and when you feel ready attempt full plank
  • As long as you are eating in a deficit you will lose weight without any form of exercise.
  • Does anyone any suggestions or knowledge of exercise I can do with an unrepaired umbilical hernia (need to loose 60 lbs before repair) and a 4 finger diastasis recti? My weight is concentrated in abdominal region - look very pregnant. I am walking 5-6 km everyday in effort to lose the weight to get hernia repaired so I can work on my core, but my belly pulls my back forward even when walking. Don't know what to do or what I can do. If I didn't have hernia, I could work on tightening up the core /stomach muscles and do different exercise to get the weight off. (75 lbs) Anyone have knowledge or experience in this area, please?

No. Weight loss at the belly will not happen by doing exercises to focus on this area. It will happen by eating less than you burn. Watch your calories, and keep your walking and you will be fine.