diet soft drink

I have kind of known this for a while, but have been burying my head in the sand, that diet sodas/fizzy drinks are really bad for you, and can food your body into thinking it is having sugar, so you will gain weight...Do you avoid diet fizy althogether or do you have some?? In the weekends I love my vodka, or gin with diet sodas. Any advice as to whether I should give it up.

Replies

• You don't need to. It only makes you gain weight if it makes you hungrier and you then overeat. Excess calories cause weight gain, not diet soda. I've lost 33 pounds drinking Coke Zero every day.
  • Worry more about the vodka than the diet drinks. At 60-70 cals an ounce it adds up quickly.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    I have kind of known this for a while, but have been burying my head in the sand, that diet sodas/fizzy drinks are really bad for you, and can food your body into thinking it is having sugar, so you will gain weight...Do you avoid diet fizy althogether or do you have some?? In the weekends I love my vodka, or gin with diet sodas. Any advice as to whether I should give it up.

No, just no. Artificial sweeteners found in diet sodas cause SOME people to CRAVE sugar which can result in weight gain if they aren't watching calories.

A diet soda on it's own will not cause weight gain. One of the first switches I made when I started losing weight was the switch to diet soda (with an occasional full calorie soda). I've lost 116 lbs and I'm a regular diet soda drinker.

It's of course not the healthiest choice in beverage, but in moderation (which I am working on..still at 2-3 cans a day) there is nothing wrong with it.

edit: Just wanted to add, there is nothing wrong with it as long as you don't have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners. My mom for example, can't have anything with aspartame without getting migraines. It doesn't cause me or my brothers any issues.

• Diet drinks are not bad for you. Many of us drink several a day and still lose weight fine. Just account for all the calories so you know where things are coming from.
  • I was drinking up 3 litres a day of diet coke (I know, I know, I've stopped now) still lost 35kg. So no, that theory doesn't hold true.
  • As of now, there's no solid evidence that diet soda is bad for your health. Can't say that will be true in the future when current research is completed.
  • Soda's can trick your stomach into making it feel like it's full. (Ever try putting a balloon over a coke bottle and seeing what happens?) They fill it up with gas and then it disapates making you feel hungry again.
  • I haven't had soda in years and have never felt the need to drink it. I feel so much better not consuming it anymore.
  • I do love the occasional Diet coke...or the Diet Root beer for a sweet treat, Or sometimes just soda water, when it is the carbonation I want! It's all good, like most things...moderation is the key! Vodka is also especially delicious with Fresca. :smile:
  • Soda's can trick your stomach into making it feel like it's full. (Ever try putting a balloon over a coke bottle and seeing what happens?) They fill it up with gas and then it disapates making you feel hungry again.

I drink 2 a day and I have never experienced this.
  • yay, so I will stick to my diet sodas and vodka in the weekend
  • Just because your body is fooled into thinking something is sugar doesn't mean you will gain weight from it. If the materials aren't there for your body to store, you can't gain weight.
  • It doesn't matter what the soda "does." If you don't eat extra, you won't gain weight.
  • I have kind of known this for a while, but have been burying my head in the sand, that diet sodas/fizzy drinks are really bad for you, and can food your body into thinking it is having sugar, so you will gain weight...Do you avoid diet fizy althogether or do you have some?? In the weekends I love my vodka, or gin with diet sodas. Any advice as to whether I should give it up.

They are only bad if you drink them in excess, since they cause your body to keep calcium in the blood, rather than deposit in the bones. Long term, this can cause osteoporosis. Otherwise, they aren't a problem.
  • mccindy72 wrote: »

They are only bad if you drink them in excess, since they cause your body to keep calcium in the blood, rather than deposit in the bones. Long term, this can cause osteoporosis. Otherwise, they aren't a problem.

I'd like a source for that.

Also, everyone who drinks diet soda will die...

Eventually.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015

Diet soda isn't bad and it does not cause you to gain weight-it has zero calories :) I drank 4-6 cans a day of diet coke throughout my weight loss phase and had absolutely no issues. I continue to drink diet coke (2-4 a day), now that I'm in maintenance and continue to have no problems. I've lost the weight, I'm maintaining the loss and my blood panels/blood pressure is fantastic, all while drinking diet soda. My profile picture was taken a couple weeks ago, right after my morning can of Coke Cherry Zero :)

sorry, colas only, not just any soda.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17023723
    mccindy72 wrote: »

sorry, colas only, not just any soda.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17023723

Yet another reason why men are superior.
  • yes, Cico is what really matters however, I really don't believe in drinking my calories. I'd rather use it on food that fills me up. Just me though.