Actual iron!

Today, for the first time in my life, I pumped actual iron. I went to the end of the gym that usually intimidates me, I chose a barbell and plates, and I used them. I didn't worry about what I looked like. I grunted and puffed. I spent time getting my grip balanced without worrying that people were staring at the fat girl just squeezing a barbell. I did deadlifts. I pushed that barbell over my head. I balanced it on my shoulders and squatted slooooowly.

I loved it. I loved it, I loved it, I loved it. I wish it were Wednesday so I could do it again, right now. I wish I'd started ten years ago. Thanks, MFP strength advocates -- I wouldn't have even tried it if I hadn't read so many posts about it here.

Replies

• Good for you!! I'm just getting into the lifting routine, too. I'm a runner and there's not a lot of advocacy for lifting within the running community as a whole...yet. It seemed foreign to me but I love it, too. Just getting into a routine and knowing what to do and when (which muscle groups, etc.) has been a bit challenging.
  • I can't wait to be able to get back into lifting. I'm giving my shoulder another month to heal up, and I plan on Starting back into the weights my first gym session in June.
  • BOOM SHAKA-LAKA!!! I'm getting ready for it I swear, bad shoulder and everything.
  • avskk wrote: »
    Today, for the first time in my life, I pumped actual iron. I went to the end of the gym that usually intimidates me, I chose a barbell and plates, and I used them. I didn't worry about what I looked like. I grunted and puffed. I spent time getting my grip balanced without worrying that people were staring at the fat girl just squeezing a barbell. I did deadlifts. I pushed that barbell over my head. I balanced it on my shoulders and squatted slooooowly.

I loved it. I loved it, I loved it, I loved it. I wish it were Wednesday so I could do it again, right now. I wish I'd started ten years ago. Thanks, MFP strength advocates -- I wouldn't have even tried it if I hadn't read so many posts about it here.

:smiley:
  • You are a rockstar. Just don't try doing bench press on Mondays...the bros love bench press Mondays.
  • Hah, I learned that to my chagrin today. One bro in particular kept hovering over every bench I wanted to use (I used three different ones -- one for the presses, one for stabilizing my legs during overhead presses, and one for weighted thrusts) so after waiting almost ten minutes to do my last set of bench presses I gave him the stinkeye and was like, "HEY BUDDY MIND IF I WORK IN," then muttered, "... before I die of old age?" as he walked off. He left the gym entirely; I like to think that was my doing.