Which scale is more accurate?

My doctor's fancy digital scale reading differs from the reading on the mechanical one that I have at home with the easy-to-read dial. I'm wearing the same clothes for both but the results are totally different. My doctor's digital scale says that I gained 1 lb. in three weeks but my bathroom one says I've lost 4 lbs. I would like to believe the scale at home only because I have lost inches around my waist/abdomen and am watching my diet. But I'm confused about the accuracy of both.

I welcome any viewpoints on the accuracy of digital scales v. mechanical old school ones with the easy-to-read dial.

Replies

• I have a Fitbit Aria and it's accurate. The doctors scale gets a lot of use and they probably don't calibrate it often. You could set something on your scale with a known weight (like a 5 pound dumbbell) and see if it matches the scale. Since you're losing inches, your scale is probably the more accurate.
  • I would always go by the scales you use at home.
    I wouldn't even bother weighing myself on any other scales tbh.
  • Just pick one scale to base your loss/gains on. If you're down 4 pounds from the last time you weighed on the same scale then that's 4 pounds. All it could mean is that you're 4 pounds heavier than your scale was telling you (assuming your doctor's scale is right). My opinion would be to only keep track using one scale because a loss is a loss and a gain is a gain, etc. Don't let both scales hold the same weight in your tracking (pun intended).
  • Both are. But they are calibrated differently. Your "starting weight" would have been 4lbs heavier if you had initially weighed at the doctors office. I weighed at my moms house, it was 20lbs off. I was 20, TWENTY, pounds lighter. I wish that were true, but the fact is, either could be wrong. But stick with 1 scale and base your losses off that.
  • Neither....just pick one.
  • I think as mentioned, use one consistently. I also have to check where I set my scale on my floor as it is tile, and so sometimes the floor is uneven and it gives me a different reading. (I would take the reading where I was four pounds less, TBH! :D )
  • Most, if not all, modern electronic scales are more than accurate enough when placed on a level, hard surface.
  • The doctor's scale probably but it doesn't matter one bit. Use your scale to track progress, the actual number is unimportant.
  • I use my home scales only right or wrong they will tell me if I'm moving up or down. Jumping from scale to scale will just have you all mixed up
  • Dave55412 wrote: »
    I have a Fitbit Aria and it's accurate. The doctors scale gets a lot of use and they probably don't calibrate it often. You could set something on your scale with a known weight (like a 5 pound dumbbell) and see if it matches the scale. Since you're losing inches, your scale is probably the more accurate.

Dave55412~ I never thought about calibration not occurring w/my doctor's office. Good point. And, good idea about the dumbbell. I placed an 8 lb one on my scale and it registers as 8 lbs. So I will stick w/my own scale. I'm also contemplating bringing a smaller dumbbell w/me to my next doctor's visit just to see if theirs is accurate, too. Appreciate your insight. It was very helpful. Thank you! :)