Quitting Smoking While Losing Weigt

2»

Replies

• Ohgee yes today was a sucess! You kept at it and will do it! I remember times feeling like I was trying to quit every day. With the help of the gum and that BF I finally made it down to just chain smoking through my lunch break, then just one at lunch then none...aside from the physical it had been such a mental habit. I smoked after everything. I get in car, smoke. Eat, smoke. work, smoke. I had to think "I get in the car, put music on" "eat, drink tea" "work, call friend"
  • I went the prescription path. One month on Chantix, can't even think about smoking ever again. Sometimes I think about smoking like a long, cherished memory, but I'll never go back, too disgusting to my mind now to consider picking it up again.
  • I quit yesterday. Since MFP has helped me lose weight, I got a different app for quitting smoking. It has a variety of tickers that will reset if you answer "yes" that you have smoked (I think, I have done well so far, 38hrs smoke free & counting). I am also using nic losenges. I have been too ashamed to start this topic on MFP, but when I saw your thread, I wanted to be here with ya. Today was not a great calorie day and I was too distracted to do my whole workout at the gym. Hopefully, tomorrow is better. I am making sure to take my protein and crunchy veggies to work and will have them at home too. I feel like my success on MFP is going to give me an edge on the quitting thing. I really do (finally) want to be healthy overall. I definitely plan to both quit & keep moving forward with the weight loss. I am sure it can be done. Good luck! :)
  • I quit three and a half years ago using hypnotherapy (I was sceptical of it myself, but I haven't had a cigarette since). Also, I really didn't want to quit. Smoking was my favourite thing, it was really a financial thing for me at the time, and yet it was still really effective for me. Exercise is actually a great coping mechanism when you're quitting, it really helps to work off all of that inevitable nervous energy/blind rage. I think one of the most important things is to tell yourself that you're not "quitting", you're not an "ex-smoker", you do not smoke. For me that made navigating conversations with smokers and offers of cigarettes a lot easier because it just shuts it down. I still do get the occasional craving, but I know to just let it pass - it will! And think about how much easier it is to not have to plan my day around every cigarette, or go on slightly long train/bus journeys :D
  • The first time I quit smoking it was so easy. I went to the emergency room with a horrible pain in my side and they told me I had kidney stones, and guess what, your pregnant. Surprise! They couldn't give me drugs to break up the stone or do sonic blasting because of the baby. Instead I got an operation and 4 days of morphine. By the time I got out of the hospital, the morphine had got me over the worst of it and I knew I couldn't go back to smoking.

This time I'm doing it that hard way, but once its done I'm never going back.