Views on corn?

I've heard mixed reviews about corn. I have no idea what to believe. I follow a 1200 calorie diet but I had a major craving today and ate two cans of corn (yes I was THAT hungry lol). I am still under my daily calories but should I avoid splurging on that in the future? I assumed eating corn was a healthier substitute than eating a sandwich, breads, etc.

Replies

• earlnabby wrote: »
    amk165 wrote: »
    Don't knock the mayo until you try it! Grilled Corn with mayo, rolled in queso cotilla. Sprinkle with some salt and maybe some lime or chilli powder...good eats!

How dare you desecrate a good ear of sweet corn with all that stuff????????????

That's how I feel.

They sell it on the street on hot days here, which really doesn't make it seem more appealing to me.

I am sure it's what you are used to, however.
  • I heard corn gives you deja vu.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    I prefer it on the cob with a little butter and salt, accompanied by steak and rolls.

PS - You should be eating more than 1200 calories. The minimum suggested for males tends to be between 1500 and 1800. It's no wonder you're hungry.
  • 1200 is not enough for you.

secondly corn is the only food I do not believe is real food.

it goes out the same way it looks when it went in- it's not food.

That being said- it's delicious and I eat it every summer. Lots of it.
  • Corn is a whole food...so it must be the devil.

Srsly, corn is fine, there's nothing wrong with carbs...but there is everything wrong with a 25 year old male eating 1200 calories.
    I agree with the French on this one.... Corn is fed to cows to make them fat....

^^^This is also an extremely ignorant comment.
  • ndj1979 wrote: »
    there is nothing wrong with corn, it is delicious…

also, why is a 25 year old male eating 1200 calories a day????

if you are that hungry that is probably a signal that you are not eating enough. Let me guess you have eliminated a bunch of foods that you view as "bad" like ice cream, bread, pasta, etc…???

^^^This...

• cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Corn is a whole food...so it must be the devil.

Srsly, corn is fine, there's nothing wrong with carbs...but there is everything wrong with a 25 year old male eating 1200 calories.
    I agree with the French on this one.... Corn is fed to cows to make them fat....

^^^This is also an extremely ignorant comment.

^^^All of this...

• BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I heard corn gives you deja vu.

:D;):#:p

I was trying to think of a clever way to bring this up. Deja vu is perfect.
  • Nothing wrong with eating corn, although, two cans does seem a bit excessive
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    I don't get it.

If people are so convinced that 1200 is the way to go, why not eat 600? Why not eat only 1 calorie a day? Call it the "Tic Tac Diet."

Heck, why eat at all.

SMH
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Btw... just around Easter, all I heard was how "fattening" bananas were and how "bad they were for you." Now its corn. Who in the loonisphere is demonizing corn now? Is it the Food Babe and her minions? Is it the cloven-footed Doctor Oz?

If I ever leave this world alive...
  • My views on corn?

I view corn, I eat it.
  • I love corn. I eat it canned, frozen, on the cob, baby corn in stir-frys, corn bread.... yummy. I always figured it was good for you cause it's high in fiber. No? I've heard from some people that's it's not good for you, but I still don't understand why.
  • Corn is weird. It needs human intervention in order to grow and it has gotten insanely good at getting people to grow it; we grow a friggin' lot of it! Humans and corn truly have a symbiosis. Michael Pollan writes about corn in 'The Omnivore's Dilemma'.
  • jwolford90 wrote: »
    Most sites that I see recommend 1200, so that's what I've been following. No need for condescending comments lol. I do appreciate the concern though. I will look into the proper amount. Also, thanks for the input on the corn ^_^

I've yet to come across a site that recommends 1200 calories for a 25 year old male. That is the minimum for a small framed, short, sedentary, female.

• I agree with the French on this one.... Corn is fed to cows to make them fat....

which equals big steaks. therefore, corn = good.

• zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I love corn. I eat it canned, frozen, on the cob, baby corn in stir-frys, corn bread.... yummy. I always figured it was good for you cause it's high in fiber. No? I've heard from some people that's it's not good for you, but I still don't understand why.

Some people don't like carbs. Corn has lots of carbs. It's also in lots of stuff in some form or another, so some people don't like it for that reason, although it's hardly the poor corn on the cob's fault.

I like carbs fine, and I love corn.
  • The only issue I see is that it came out of a can. Throw that ish on the grill.
  • Corn is healthy..except when prepared like this
    chocolate-covered-corn-dog.jpg