Bad chicken?

Has anyone ever went through a phase of thinking all chicken smells bad?

I've been eating a lot of chicken lately and since last week every chicken I've been opening I've thrown away since I smelled it being off. This has been one pack of thighs from Tesco, one red Thai just cook chicken from sainsburys and a pack of breasts from Asda. All within their dates. Got my partner to smell the raw thighs tonight and he said they were fine so I cooked and tasted (and was nearly sick due to the bad smell and taste) yet he said it was fine. Anyone else experienced this?

Feel like I'm going loopey :)

Replies

• Defo not pregnant ha!

I think it must be my head. I've had a lot of chicken lately so could well be that.
  • Did you eat/cook chicken when you were ill at any point? I ate macaroni cheese (my favourite food) and had a strawberry milkshake when I had the flu and now even the smell makes me urge. Seriously, if someone has a strawberry milkshake in the room I start urging. I think my brain now associates these foods with feeling ill. I'm so gutted about losing macaroni cheese from my life!
  • I did have a really horrid stomach upset last week after some chicken. It could well be that!

The brain is a strange thing
  • I had that happen to me with pork. It usually happens when I eat too much of one type of meat. The trigger was biting into one that hadn't been cooked well enough for me, and after that I had an aversion to it for a few weeks.
  • ShowKitten wrote: »
    I did have a really horrid stomach upset last week after some chicken. It could well be that!

I bet it's that. I still can't eat bacon and orange juice (the shelf-stable kind) together after an unfortunate vomiting-in-the-car incident many years ago.
  • Did you eat/cook chicken when you were ill at any point? I ate macaroni cheese (my favourite food) and had a strawberry milkshake when I had the flu and now even the smell makes me urge. Seriously, if someone has a strawberry milkshake in the room I start urging. I think my brain now associates these foods with feeling ill. I'm so gutted about losing macaroni cheese from my life!

I got the flu as a kid and that afternoon I had orange soda. Still don't like orange soda but interestingly enough I do like orange Pedialyte if I feel nauseous.

No one should have to give up mac & cheese but you could try making Au Gratin Potatoes, it might be a good replacement?

Back to the post, today I had to make a pack of chicken thighs that I had forgotten in the refrigerator and the sell by date was 5-5. When I opened it I didn't smell anything and they were fine. If I ever smell anything I don't like I don't eat it. I have, however, made it and served it to my hubby and son. They have a much stronger stomach than I do. Oh, and I have bought meat within the expiration date date before and it smelled off. I also worked in the grocery business before and all I can say about that is, your nose is your best friend. You wouldn't even believe the things they do to not have to lose money on meat.
  • Could be gettin being sick, I still think 7 up tastes like vomit because my mom would give it to us when we had a stomach bug or flu
  • ShowKitten wrote: »
    I did have a really horrid stomach upset last week after some chicken. It could well be that!

Ah yup, tis your body's natural defense mechanism. In this case it put two and two together and came up with five. Basically it's trying to help by saying 'don't eat that stuff, it'll kill you!!!!!!'. Often if you take a good long break you can reintroduce the maligned food item.