Snacks!!!

Any suggestions please, I need help. Any ideas for low calorie, low fat snacks. I have tried drinking water, distraction etc., but still end up searching the fridge and cupboards. Anyone else have this problem, what do you do?

Replies

• Thanks bunsen_honeydew I will give the yogurt and almonds a go. I love Almonds so imperative I weigh.
    I have seen quark and wondered about it, do you mix it with anything else?
  • To add to the frozen grapes, I love frozen blueberries too! That and skinnygirl popcorn, fresh berries, fat free cottage cheese on reduced fat triskets, fruit and nut mixes... :smiley:
  • AndiVentry wrote: »
    To add to the frozen grapes, I love frozen blueberries too! That and skinnygirl popcorn, fresh berries, fat free cottage cheese on reduced fat triskets, fruit and nut mixes... :smiley:

Many thanks. I am now armed with a wide choice of snacks to choose from. Brilliant.
  • Fiber One
    Quest Bar
    Whole wheat sandwich thin with pumpkin butter
    Mozzarella pearls, tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinegar
    Tomatoes, red onion and avocado
    Deli meat rolled with cheese and mustard
    Pickles
    Graham cracker with nut butter
    Whole grain chips with black bean hummus
  • Thanks SnuggleSmacks. The deli meat rolled with cheese and mustard is a favourite of mine too. I haven't seen pumpkin butter or nut butter, but then I haven't looked. It is on my shopping list.

• Sliced tomatoes with a light sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and pepper.
  • Many thanks MissBlunts420. I have to curb my like of cheese but this is a good way of giving tomatoes and pepper a lovely kick, with the taste of cheese.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Curious, why low fat? Maybe "good" fat is ok? I take small handful of hazelnuts or almonds most every day as a snack or as a component of a meal. Iron in them too. More in almonds IIRC.

Some of my more often reached for snacks:

Apples and celery for bulk, fibre.

Greek yoghurt - plain, 2% or non-fat if you prefer, has more protein than regular yoghurt and importantly, no sugar. I sweeten it by adding frozen blueberries that I thaw a bit in the microwave. Or some other fruit but I like blueberries and yoghurt.

Cottage cheese - also high in protein.

Once in a while, hard boiled egg.

Sometimes I'll take a few slices of natural turkey lunch meat and a slice of provolone, wrap it up and voila, bread-less "sandwich"; protein and not too many calories. I see I'm not the only one!

6 or 8 olives.

Banana.

I run four or five times a week so usually have a bigger calorie deficit to use up; sometimes I'll make a simple salad with a small can of tuna (packed in water). Pretty much a meal in itself but not that high in calories.

Have been experimenting with roasting spicy chickpeas. Tasty but I think I like them moist better.

Do snacks higher in protein or good fats leave a longer lasting feeling of satiation? Some say yes; seem to for me.
  • Many thanks for your input mwyvr. I cannot exercise at the moment, and even good fats if eaten in excess will put weight on. I incorporate almonds into my day, but carefully weigh them out and I am sticking to a high protein diet, which seems to be working at the moment.

I haven't chosen Greek yogurt all the time, but I will in future. Love the idea of your protein "sandwich". Tuna salad is one of my favourites too.

I do eat high protein snacks in an effort to keep my hunger at bay, one of my simplest ones is a weighed portion of chicken cut into small pieces for me to nibble on, but I was getting tired of that.

Because of this brilliant site I now have a whole list of snacks for me to choose from.