starting out lifting.... what is a good weight?!?

Hey everyone

I'm just starting to get into lifting but have.no idea what would be considered good!!!

I'm 5'2, 61kg and am pretty fit but most of what I do is stamina/endurance training like body pump. Managed to shift 47.5kg in squats but have no idea if this is any good or not?!

Replies

• Thanks all! :-)
  • I think you should find a weight that will be challenging for you on the last couple of reps. This is tricky at first as many people start some what low until they realize that they are not getting that muscle burning type feeling. It is important to mention that your body will adapt to the weight/stress and you will need to either do more reps or more weight to get the same feeling of exhaustion in the muscle.
  • General rule I've followed is enough weight so the max number of reps you can possibly do is between 8 and 12. If you can do 15 to 20 reps, you can handle more weight.
  • The strongest man in the world started out with the lightest weights and progressed from there. Learn from him.
  • Start out with an empty bar, and make sure your form is ok.

Add weight slowly.

Take breaks.
  • Hey everyone

I'm just starting to get into lifting but have.no idea what would be considered good!!!

I'm 5'2, 61kg and am pretty fit but most of what I do is stamina/endurance training like body pump. Managed to shift 47.5kg in squats but have no idea if this is any good or not?!

How's your form .. do you have someone who can help you correct

really this is the most important factor .. then it's about beating yourself not other people ..