Simple Rules of Thumb to help lose weight

Does anyone have simple rules of thumb that they use when trying to figure out what to eat, what not to eat and how much to eat?

Here are three that I use:

1) If I am going to eat deep fried foods, I must make it form scratch at home. No restaurants and no prepackaged. The process required really reduces my consumption.

2) When checking the ingredient list on grocery store items, I try to never buy anything that has "Sugar" or any of the other fancy names for sugar in the first three items of the ingredient list.

3) when reading the nutrition label, I look for foods with single digits besides sugars and fats and double digits besides proteins.

What are your rules?

Replies

• Unknown
    edited May 2015
    1. Eat in a deficit, but eat enough!
    2. Drink 2-3 litres of water daily.
    3. Workouts should be short & intense.
    4. Prepare and store your meals weekly.
    5. Don't eat it until it's been logged!
    6. Get minimum of 7 hours sleep.
    7. Consume enough protein.
    8. Lift heavy weights 2-3x weekly.
    9. Throw away your scale.
    10. Eat carbs on the days you exercise.
    11. WEIGH YOUR FOOD.
    12. If you can't pronounce the ingredients, don't eat it.
    13. Buy a goal outfit and hang it on your bedroom door.
    14. Be patient.
  • Sordova wrote: »
    Does anyone have simple rules of thumb that they use when trying to figure out what to eat, what not to eat and how much to eat?

Here are three that I use:

1) If I am going to eat deep fried foods, I must make it form scratch at home. No restaurants and no prepackaged. The process required really reduces my consumption.

2) When checking the ingredient list on grocery store items, I try to never buy anything that has "Sugar" or any of the other fancy names for sugar in the first three items of the ingredient list.

3) when reading the nutrition label, I look for foods with single digits besides sugars and fats and double digits besides proteins.

What are your rules?

to point two, so you buy nothing at the grocery store?

my rules

log everything
    hit my micro/macors
    no food is off limits
    use a food scale
    lift heavy
  • Be honest with what you are eating
    Be honest with your burn
    If you go over one day don't sweat it, just pull it back over the next 2 days
  • Lexicpt wrote: »
    I eat less than I burn. That's about it.

This is the ONLY answer.

ALL roads that lead to losing weight pass through this point.
  • From Sunday to Friday, I usually plan my meals the night before (enter into MFP to see totals) then pack my lunch and snacks for work. Saturdays I just log as I go and make sure to leave some room for a couple beers!
  • Lexicpt wrote: »
    I eat less than I burn. That's about it.

This is the ONLY answer.

ALL roads that lead to losing weight pass through this point.

Doesnt stop there being other answers/ guidelines that some posters follow to help lose weight, as requested by the OP. So quite clearly not the ONLY answer.