OA

Has anyone done Overeaters Anonymous? Did it help you? I have had a very stressful month and after almost 2 years of this I turned back to my old eating habits and haven't exercised because of the lack of sleep. I am wondering if OA would help me not eat a ton when stressed.

Replies

• OA is all about your own journey and having people who have been "there" before -who have dealt with their own issues honestly is what's helpful. If you go, allow yourself to make connections with someone who has the attitude about eating that you find helpful.
  • I think this is the kind of thing where each group culture can vary quite a bit, so if you go be open but also mindful of whether this particular group is a good fit for you. I don't really think the 12 steps have some magic to them, but taking a decisive path and working hard to reach it with the support of others can be good.
  • Yes they do. It's a group in a church basement in Pittsburgh that meets on Thursday evenings. I just don't know if it's worth it to go or not.

Why not? What would it hurt?

Someone above said it seems like it was a catalyst for eating disorders and since I already have issues with that I'm a bit worried about making them worse!

My sense is that every group could be different - maybe there is a contact person you could talk to beforehand and ask about that kind of thing? I agree that the group described sounds counterproductive but I wonder if they're all like that? There is at least one OA group here on MFP, maybe that would be a good place to ask?