I lost 10lb between Tuesday and Thursday

Hi, everyone! On Tuesday, I weighed myself and it came up at 180lb, but today, Thursday, I checked and I dropped to 170lb. I had my mom weigh herself with me both times and her weight stayed the same. I found this alarming.
One week ago I started taking Adderall again, which supresses appetite, so I haven't been able to eat as much. I had been over-eating previously, which is why I started watching my weight again.
Any input would be helpful.

Replies

• cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Man...people's reading comprehension skills suck *kitten*...

- Where does the OP ever suggest it's a supplement?
    - Where does the OP ever suggest it is being taken for weight loss?
    - Where is it mentioned that OP is getting it over the counter?

OP simply stated she started taking it again...I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she has ADHD and has a prescription for the medication as nothing has been stated or otherwise implied that would make me think otherwise. She also stated that her appetite is suppressed from the medication...which is a well known side-effect.

OP, just keep an eye on it. Also, are you weighing in with clothes/shoes? Different time of day? Stuff like that is obviously going to mess with the numbers.

THANK YOU. I do have ADHD and that is what I take it for- and my doctor suggested I take it regularly. I hate taking it because of the side-effects but it lets me mellow out and also concentrate like a regular person when I need to. In no way do I abuse it or any other medication.

To answer your questions though: I wore similar clothes each time ( light weight basketball shorts and a t-shirt) and weighed my self around the same time each..
    I haven't weighed myself since or been keeping up with my activity due to helping my boyfriend's parents move this past week.
  • cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Man...people's reading comprehension skills suck *kitten*...

- Where does the OP ever suggest it's a supplement?
    - Where does the OP ever suggest it is being taken for weight loss?
    - Where is it mentioned that OP is getting it over the counter?

I think they're reacting Malteaster's post without reading the fact they are from the United Kingdom and would therefore not be aware of Adderall because it is not available there.
    aaliceinw wrote: »
    I only know Adderall as a schedule 7, prescription drug used to manage ADHD! I've never heard of it being used as an appetite suppressor. I didn't know you could even get it over the counter because it has some very serious side effects.

You can't.

But interesting fun fact, you used to be able to get methamphetamines for weight loss from a doctor too.

• Hi, everyone! On Tuesday, I weighed myself and it came up at 180lb, but today, Thursday, I checked and I dropped to 170lb. I had my mom weigh herself with me both times and her weight stayed the same. I found this alarming.
    One week ago I started taking Adderall again, which supresses appetite, so I haven't been able to eat as much. I had been over-eating previously, which is why I started watching my weight again.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Water weight

And possibly scale movement, change of conditions eg time of day, clothing, hydration, food in body, sodium, hormonal balance

Day to day scale fluctuations mean little...check over weeks/months

I do not agree with pill supplements ...

I think it was pretty clear from this that my assumption was that this was an appetite suppressant alone

The OP did not mention this was prescribed for a medical condition and the appetite suppression was a side effect, how would you imagine I would automatically know this is an ADHD medication?

• rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hi, everyone! On Tuesday, I weighed myself and it came up at 180lb, but today, Thursday, I checked and I dropped to 170lb. I had my mom weigh herself with me both times and her weight stayed the same. I found this alarming.
    Water weight

And possibly scale movement, change of conditions eg time of day, clothing, hydration, food in body, sodium, hormonal balance

I think it was pretty clear from this that my assumption was that this was an appetite suppressant alone

The OP did not mention this was prescribed for a medical condition and the appetite suppression was a side effect, how would you imagine I would automatically know this is an ADHD medication?

Research?
    Adderral is for attention deficit disorders alone and is prescribed to patients sparingly due to side-effects and the potential for abuse.
    Water weight

Research?
    Adderral is for attention deficit disorders alone and is prescribed to patients sparingly due to side-effects and the potential for abuse.

But people have been known to take it to suppress the appetite. When I initially read the post, I was also unsure if OP was talking about taking it for ADHD or to help with weight loss.
  • adderall is not a supplement and it's kind of annoying you would even suggest it is.

adderall is a medication for people who have ADD/ADHD. if you don't agree with people who have ADD/ADHD taking it because of the way it affects the body, that's one thing, but to even remotely imply it would be used as a weight loss stimulant is extremely ignorant.

you can only get it by prescription, unless you're a person who pops pills/does drugs - it's a controlled substance.

Adderall is an amphetamine primarily used for ADD/ADHD but some doctors do prescribe it for weight loss alone.
  • And for the record, I have been prescribed to medications similar to Adderal since I was 7 years old due to my hyperactivity and lack of concentration. I had to go through multiple sessions of testing to see if I was eligible to be prescribed the medicine- it wasn't so I would shut up and sit down. Or stop me from eating.
  • And for the record, I have been prescribed to medications similar to Adderal since I was 7 years old due to my hyperactivity and lack of concentration. I had to go through multiple sessions of testing to see if I was eligible to be prescribed the medicine- it wasn't so I would shut up and sit down. Or stop me from eating.

My autistic daughter took it for several years and it helped her greatly. She did have the appetite issues you are having and we just made sure when she did eat was calorie dense. So you just need to be mindful of what calorie goal you have and find foods that fit into that even if you aren't eating as much or as often.

I'm confident you can get it worked out. Just takes some extra diligence.
  • You mentioned that you weighed at the same time each day. Was it first thing in the morning after peeing / pooping / etc or was it after you had already begun to eat and drink for the day? You can see huge fluctuations this way. The best time to weigh is at the same time in the morning after you're emptied out and haven't begun taking in. Even then, there are natural variations but it smooths it out.
    Water weight

Research?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt here, but the onus is on you, as the original poster seeking advice, to give all relevant information so the phrase "prescribed for a medical condition with the potential side effect of" would have made more sense

• Have you had any more big drops in weight? If not, then chances are it was retained water. Think about why, since you're not very overweight, you might be retaining that much...how is your sodium? Potassium? Are you staying hydrated on the regular? As long as your weight has stabilized, I wouldn't worry about it except inasmuch as it might indicate some kind of overage or deficiency.

I'm sure people do get Adderall for weight loss and especially if they get it off the streets, but when I read the post it didn't even occur to me that OP didn't get it for ADHD, so I think that maybe is a US/UK difference? An unwitting assumption, at worst.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Water weight

Research?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt here, but the onus is on you, as the original poster seeking advice, to give all relevant information so the phrase "prescribed for a medical condition with the potential side effect of" would have made more sense

to be fair, the prescribing context for adderall is very widely known here in north america. i don't know anyone here who doesn't know what it's for. chalk it up to cultural/branding differences (and lack of knowledge about those differences)