24 hour fasts almost everyday. Bad idea?

I eat almost all my calories in the morning (1500-1600) and don't eat anything until the next morning. I get tired earlier than usual eating like this, but it has been working for me otherwise. I've been eating like this on and off for 2 months. Will this have any long term negative effects?

Replies

• arditarose wrote: »
    IF can be great, but how the hell are you eating 1600 calories in a single sitting?

That's like a six-egg and cheese omelette, four slices of bacon, mushrooms cooked in butter and three slices of toast.

How do you do that? You're tiny.

I do IF three days per week but I have lunch and dinner, I find it works well, I don't feel hungry and I don't get tired. It might be worth trying that instead.

1600 calories in one sitting is not that hard.

this ^ lol .. could do easily hahah :smile:
  • I know that some people who take stimulants for ADHD and similar conditions have a ton of trouble eating well throughout the day, and thus only eat before and after their medication has been taken/worn-off. I had the same experience, except that I forced myself to eat during the day in the beginning, which was a terrible idea because food had to be SUPER APPETIZING for me to choke it down. I'm talking about fried chicken, ranch dressing, fries, and ice cream. That was pretty much all I found palatable.

Later down the road I accepted that this idea wasn't working out, as I had gained ~20 lbs., and decided that if I couldn't force myself to eat healthy foods between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, I just wouldn't be eating at all. I dropped those 20 lbs. in about a year, my medication was much more effective, and honestly it was nice not having to worry about a mid-day meal. Plus, it is much easier to make room in your calorie count for a scoop or two of ice cream every now and then if you're skipping lunch.

Now, its also super important to note that during this time, my appetite and hunger were chemically suppressed during the day, and my body had absolutely no desire for nourishment. If you're HUNGRY during this fast, you're probably just going to binge later.
  • There is some research going on in the Middle East on the effect of fasting and only eating once per day during Ramadan and other feasting periods. Unfortunately I currently don't have access to papers, thus I'm only summarizing. The outcome of several studies is that especially this type of fasting was rather unhealthy particularly for women. The generally poor diet in the region taken out of the equation, it seems that this kind of fasting is increasing the risk of developing diabetes even in healthy, normal weight, young women, while there doesn't seem to be the same effect in men.
  • I eat almost all my calories in the morning (1500-1600) and don't eat anything until the next morning. I get tired earlier than usual eating like this, but it has been working for me otherwise. I've been eating like this on and off for 2 months. Will this have any long term negative effects?
    I eat almost all my calories in the morning (1500-1600) and don't eat anything until the next morning. I get tired earlier than usual eating like this, but it has been working for me otherwise. I've been eating like this on and off for 2 months. Will this have any long term negative