"You're too skinny!" Do others ever make you question your maintenance weight?

I haven't ever posted before, but appreciate the support that this forum offers and want to get in on it! Lately, I've been in need of support from those who understand the struggles of weight loss and maintenance.

Since the fall of 2013, I went from 180lbs to 125lbs (female, 5'6") and have been maintaining at 125 (+/- 2lbs) for the past 6 months. As time goes on, I have gotten more and more serious about exercise and specifically running. I really enjoy seeing where my body can take me and it's motivating to break my personal records and times while running.

In the process, my body fat percentage has dropped to around 18% and while I am happy with the way I look, a lot of people around me keep making comments like "you're too skinny" or "you had better not lose any more weight". It's not just 1 or 2 people either -- it's many of those I am close to and even family members. It really makes me second guess myself and question whether I have some kind of body dysmorphia or eating disorder even though I am within the healthy range for BMI and I eat between 1800-2300 calories/day (depending on how much I work out).

Has anyone else dealt with this? How do you respond to comments like this?

Replies

• I get these comments ("too skinny", "don't lose any more", "people can lose too much, can't they", "if you have an ED, please let me know and I can help", "you are OK, aren't you" etc.)from friends/work colleagues all the time (I went from near 200 lbs to 125 lbs in 9 months). They are genuinely concerned, even if their concern comes primarily from a skewed expectation of what is "normal" and how they are used to seeing me. I also get kinda fun comments like my boss's boss who calls me "Half-A-DopeySmelly" (I just say "Thanks Mom"..).

I've never, ever been interested in what other people thought of my physical appearance and that hasn't changed so I just ignore them, even though it worries me that they have such a skewed perception themselves.

On the other hand, I was complimented by someone at my gym the other week, who (a) told me that I inspired her to get in shape and lose weight (she looks really great after losing a lot of weight now), and (b) told me she was watching me work out and that my muscles were absolutely AWESOME. I felt so wonderful from those two comments I nearly combusted from a weird combination of pride and humility.

Now, random strangers commenting?.. Er, no.
  • I've been hearing stuff like this from certain family members since Christmas. As in, each time I see them. Now I make fun of the change in a sarcastic way with them. Especially those that put forth a deeper level of negativity on me. Works, just for that day.