What nobody tells you about losing weight

Wanted to make this thread for motivationial purposes more than anything but they don't all have to be super positive! More of what came as a surprise. I'll start..

- how much confidence it will actually bring, especially when strangers start treating you like royalty all of a sudden!

- Sitting (particularly in baths) and laying (particularly in beds) will become ever increasingly uncomfortable.

- how vain you will become! I can't walk past a mirror without checking how I look nowadays!

Your turn!

Replies

• Ms_LisaKay wrote: »
    Nobody told me how jiggly I would get. At my heaviest, my skin & fat were tight. Now that I have lost a bit and have stronger muscles underneath, I can pinch/pull the actual fatty tissue out. It weirds me out, but shows visually how many calories I have yet to burn. I am sure this phenomenon is known, but I was/am surprised by it. It is weird to actually be able to almost see the fat as something floating around inside my body on top of the muscles.

Yes I've noticed this too. Being able to see my 'fat suit' makes me want to work harder to lose it! So, so jiggly right now though :(
  • sc0tt14 wrote: »
    The confidence boost and projecting it onto others!!!

So true
  • The excitement of seeing your collar bones again!!!
  • Being ACTUALLY handicapped, I get really annoyed when large girls take the handicapped stall. It's NOY for you...it's for us who really need it. Please...a little respect.

Ok...but as not all handicaps are visible, how are you to know which of them do have handicaps and which ones don't? Many people don't look physically handicapped, but still are. Many need access to the sinks in the handicapped toilets due to colostomy bags, severe bowel disorders (resulting in embarrassing and messy clean-ups) etc. I've read a few articles in the media on this lately. I can understand your frustration at the admissions in this thread, but I'd hate to think you're out there feeling angry every time you see a large woman leave the handicapped toilets, without knowing if there is a genuine reason for them to use it.
  • Love this thread! So motivational - I was very tempted to snack before I read this but think I can hold out until lunchtime now. It's so hard working in an office where people snack on junk food 24/7, every other day there's a birthday so our desks are filled with cakes and treats. Going to stay strong!
  • How I no longer wake up with a dead arm because I'd rolled over on it in my sleep. Awake mode Del used to be lazy but even sleep mode Del was too lazy to move the arm.
    How much more washing there is; particually undies and socks (I change them 3 times daily because I work out twice)
    How excited you get when you finally give yourself a break and at your fave italian restaurant you have the cream based pasta instead of tomato based then immediately feel crap and bloated because your body isn't used to it anymore.
    How a medium pack of chips can give you a headache due to the salt.
    How good it feels when you have the post workout endorphins and slightly sore muscles because you know you're 1 workout closer to your goal.
    How weird it feels when people who see you every day notice the changes (without prompting) but people who haven't seen you in 4 months don't say a thing.
    How great it feels when someone asks you for advise and being able to help them start their own journey.
    Lastly and yes everyone has said it but YES I'M COLD ALL THE TIME. I still have 25kgs to go so hoping I don't freeze to death before then.
  • How good it feels to have people at the gym comment on your progress. Yes, I am doing this for me but it is good to know someone else notices.
  • cblue315 wrote: »
    How good it feels to have people at the gym comment on your progress. Yes, I am doing this for me but it is good to know someone else notices.

I've lost around 50lbs so far and apart from my mother and a childhood friend, no one tells me anything, unless I mention it. Don't get me wrong I'm really happy that those two noticed. I wanted to jump in the air, but I thought I could get motivation and support from more people. I wonder why they are staying so silent, I mean 50lbs is noticeable, right? It would really help me, since I am not done yet.

The new problem I've encountered is with my underwear. They keep slipping and the leg holes are way too big lol. I need a new set lol
  • Nobody told me what to expect in terms of plateaus and whooshes. Even when it happens on MFP, people won't say it or acknowledge it.

As I get closer to my goal weight, the plateaus last longer and the whooshes are bigger. I had a 5 month plateau late last year / early this year. When I posted on MFP after about 3 months, I would just get the response that I wasn't logging right. Seriously?! My logging method was working and then is wrong even when I didn't change anything?! In Mar., I got the "whoosh" of a several lb. loss in a few days. Now I've been in another plateau since Mar. and no idea how long this one will last.
  • Nobody told me what to expect in terms of plateaus and whooshes. Even when it happens on MFP, people won't say it or acknowledge it.

As I get closer to my goal weight, the plateaus last longer and the whooshes are bigger. I had a 5 month plateau late last year / early this year. When I posted on MFP after about 3 months, I would just get the response that I wasn't logging right. Seriously?! My logging method was working and then is wrong even when I didn't change anything?! In Mar., I got the "whoosh" of a several lb. loss in a few days. Now I've been in another plateau since Mar. and no idea how long this one will last.

Honestly, I think it's just a sensitive subject and people who aren't extremely close to you don't want to offend you by saying, "oh my gosh, you've lost so much weight and look great!", possibly implying that before you were fat/looked terrible.
  • hartmamp wrote: »
    Nobody told me what to expect in terms of plateaus and whooshes. Even when it happens on MFP, people won't say it or acknowledge it.

Honestly, I think it's just a sensitive subject and people who aren't extremely close to you don't want to offend you by saying, "oh my gosh, you've lost so much weight and look great!", possibly implying that before you were fat/looked terrible.

I don't get how that is relevant. My point was that, on MFP, the conversation is that plateaus are extremely short lived. If you haven't lost weight after a couple of weeks, you are assumed to be incorrectly logging.

The reality is that plateaus last longer and longer each time... eventually lasting for several months. The "whoosh" is bigger after those months, but it can be very discouraging when nobody is willing to acknowledge that plateaus are real and they can last a very long time... it isn't always incorrect logging to blame.
    Nobody told me what to expect in terms of plateaus and whooshes. Even when it happens on MFP, people won't say it or acknowledge it.

I don't get how that is relevant. My point was that, on MFP, the conversation is that plateaus are extremely short lived. If you haven't lost weight after a couple of weeks, you are assumed to be incorrectly logging.

The reality is that plateaus last longer and longer each time... eventually lasting for several months. The "whoosh" is bigger after those months, but it can be very discouraging when nobody is willing to acknowledge that plateaus are real and they can last a very long time... it isn't always incorrect logging to blame.

Oops.. It's not relevant, I totally quoted the wrong person. My fault. I meant to quote the poster who said she was surprised more folks didn't comment on her weight loss!!
    hartmamp wrote: »

Oops.. It's not relevant, I totally quoted the wrong person. My fault. I meant to quote the poster who said she was surprised more folks didn't comment on her weight loss!!

Ah... that makes sense.

Maybe. I guess especially around my guy friends lol.
    My sister spoke to me the other day about her boyfriend wanting to lose weight, I wanted to encourage that but she dismissed everything I said. Like I had no experience in the matter. I just wanted to help... I wanted to show I could, by discussing my progress and how I feel. One ear out of the other. I guess the ten year gape between us, will always make me look like a baby to her.
    Writing this makes really believe that with this kind of challenge you really need to rely on yourself. I always wanted to have a stronger personality, perhaps I'm getting what I wished for. I didn't choose this lifestyle to impress my sister or get her approval. I am doing this for me.
  • That some people (friends/family) will start to ask you if you are sick, starving yourself, and/or are too skinny. This has been one of the hardest things, and it has only been happening recently. Right now I am in the middle of my healthy BMI (range 111-150 and I'm at 132) and I'm definitely not "too skinny". People had been very supportive when I was starting, but very quickly they have pulled a 180. Then when I say I want to lose just ~10 more (still within my healthy BMI, and I have a small frame) they tell me not to. It's unfortunate that people won't mention anything if you are too big but as soon as you start to be healthy they will start talking about it. I'm going to do what I want anyway lol.

Overall there are lots of good things too!
    * Shopping is WAY more fun, and things look better on me
    * I feel more comfortable sitting (jeans used to cut in to my stomach)
    * No more chaffing!
    * I feel less full, which was always so uncomfortable when I overate
    * My skin is super clear
    * I don't run away from pictures
  • BioQueen wrote: »
    That some people (friends/family) will start to ask you if you are sick, starving yourself, and/or are too skinny. This has been one of the hardest things, and it has only been happening recently. Right now I am in the middle of my healthy BMI (range 111-150 and I'm at 132) and I'm definitely not "too skinny". People had been very supportive when I was starting, but very quickly they have pulled a 180. Then when I say I want to lose just ~10 more (still within my healthy BMI, and I have a small frame) they tell me not to. It's unfortunate that people won't mention anything if you are too big but as soon as you start to be healthy they will start talking about it. I'm going to do what I want anyway lol.

Overall there are lots of good things too!
    * Shopping is WAY more fun, and things look better on me
    * I feel more comfortable sitting (jeans used to cut in to my stomach)
    * No more chaffing!
    * I feel less full, which was always so uncomfortable when I overate
    * My skin is super clear
    * I don't run away from pictures

My BMI range is the same. I also want to head for 120 (although I have more to go), I totally understand what you are going through! When I talk about getting to my goal weight, people always freak out... its in my health range and I will stop when I think it's enough.
    I completely support your decision! Its your body and you will know when to stop. Keep going, you're extremely close!
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Call it selfish, but I've been working hard for almost 2 months lost around 9 lbs so far. I got really frustrated (actually ticked off) when my partner jogged for one week and began skipping happily around the house bragging about his 8lb loss in 3 days and even more over a week. I love him and I'm happy hes happy/succeeding but it makes me a little bitter when he does this.

Also, this truly is something you have to do/want for yourself. No one else can achieve it for you or force you make this journey. You have to find your own motivation and keep pushing.

Top it off, my neighbor asked me what my goal weight is....I told her. She freaked out and told me I'd be wayyy to skinny and I should stop at a much higher weight. Ummmm no, it's my body, I researched BMI and weight ranges that are healthy. I set my goal. If I choose to stop before then it'll be because Im happy. Not because you think it's too small.
  • LacednLace wrote: »

Also, this truly is something you have to do/want for yourself. No one else can achieve it for you or force you make this journey. You have to find your own motivation and keep pushing.

I LOVE this. Absolutely agree with you. You can have friends who support you, but unless you are truly committed you will fall short of your goals.
  • LacednLace wrote: »

Top it off, my neighbor asked me what my goal weight is....I told her. She freaked out and told me I'd be wayyy to skinny and I should stop at a much higher weight. Ummmm no, it's my body, I researched BMI and weight ranges that are healthy. I set my goal. If I choose to stop before then it'll be because Im happy. Not because you think it's too small.

Hear, hear! We are totally on the same page! :smiley:

Yep. I'm aiming to lose 1.5 lb./week. In the last three weeks I've lost nothing, but four weeks ago I lost 4 lb. from Monday to Friday.