Coffee vs. (black) Tea (social anthropology)

Occasionally I go Out For Tea to a Tea Shop (which makes a bit of an "occasion" out of tea, as opposed to a store which sells only tea, or a shop which offers tea and sandwiches but no ambiance), and when I do, I have no trouble pairing sweets (and, of course, scones) with the tea.

Day to day, however, I find that if I drink tea, apart from a now-past tendency to over-indulge in a certain brand of tea biscuits, I really am not keen to have much in the way of desserts/snacks with the tea.

If I drink coffee, on the other hand, I find that the idea of most desserts/snacks seems more palatable with coffee. And the scones go equally as well with coffee as with tea. :)

Also, since I drink my tea with 1/2 oz milk, and my coffee with 1 oz half and half, I know I'm looking at a 25 calorie differential right off the bat.

Today, I chose the tea over the coffee, both for the 25 calories and because the tea biscuits I currently favor (only 32 calories for two!) go better (to my palate) with coffee than with tea.

Has anyone else observed something similar in their experience?

Replies

• Unfortunatly its become a habit of mine that every time I have black tea or coffee, I need to accompany it with some biscuits or some sort of bread. Of course I opt for kedem tea biscuits or raisin bread (something a little healthier than a cinnamon roll!) but still... I just crave the yumminess of a hot beverage with a snack!