MFP's Acquisition

I just heard that MFP has been acquired by another company that is merging two companies together.

I have been here three years and like the way it is and do not want anything to change. But money talks, especially $475 million.

So, what is in store for MFP? What changes will impact us? When will this happen?

How many people will drop out after the changes are in effect because it is no longer free or beneficial?

Replies

• And the truth comes out ... didn't take long.
  • sunrise611 wrote: »
    I just heard that MFP has been acquired by another company that is merging two companies together.

I have been here three years and like the way it is and do not want anything to change. But money talks, especially $475 million.

So, what is in store for MFP? What changes will impact us? When will this happen?

How many people will drop out after the changes are in effect because it is no longer free or beneficial?

MFP needs to make alot of changes if it expects growth. If you ever researched the background of this site and this company you would see that the company needed to take out to Large loans from venture capitalists in order to make this project happen and because they didn't really think of the best way to make $$$ while providing a useful site for users it took the company 9 years to see a dime. And even so they havent found a way to make a profit outside of Ad related revenue that can really help them achieve a substantial growth. In the end good for users, bad for MFP. This merger should help change that

• Unknown
    edited May 2015
    It didn't need growth or major changes. It was fine as is.

The "growth" that this organization is making is not considering its user base, which is the basis of the whole operation. Right now they are using the users for marketing research and screwing them over.

Yeah, great "growth" ... you can buy into it if you want but it seems the majority is not behind you.

They can make enhancements available to paid users but don't take away existing functionality to free users.

Hopefully they will listen to the users and restore functionality as it was or they will lose them and have a sinking ship.
  • I agree with you "We like MFP as is" minus some small grievances, I am talking about the company, do your research and you'll see all about the companies financial problems and how they couldn't seem to get MFP to work for them. They didnt make money for the first nine years and even after that most of their ad related revenue went to paying off venture backed loans, IT servicing ect. There is a reason they sold the company....It sucks for us as users but from a business perspective they needed to do something
  • sschwark wrote: »
    "...please rest assured that your experience with MyFitnessPal will not change. Our products, services and team will remain the same. MyFitnessPal will still be free to use, you own your data and Under Armour will never sell it to any third parties. We will also continue to sync with your wearable devices and fitness apps. "

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/myfitnesspal-joins-forces-with-under-armour/

Hope this is true and everything remains the same.

Lies.

It is already changing .. just a few months later. And not for the better.
    sschwark wrote: »
    "...please rest assured that your experience with MyFitnessPal will not change. Our products, services and team will remain the same. MyFitnessPal will still be free to use, you own your data and Under Armour will never sell it to any third parties. We will also continue to sync with your wearable devices and fitness apps. "

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/myfitnesspal-joins-forces-with-under-armour/

Hope this is true and everything remains the same.

Lies.

It is already changing .. just a few months later. And not for the better.

All I see are your opinions. Are you a premium member? What has changed on the free side of this site?
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Do some research and you will find many similar opinions.

- They ruined the nutritional view on the apps and made them more confusing and complicated when it was perfect before.
    - They added an annoying pop-up announcing their Premium Plan.

Functionality is being replaced with garbage and they want people to pay a lot of money for the privilege of using it.
  • Business has one goal in mind. To make money. It's an unfortunate, harsh reality. I still want to strangle the douche bags that took G4TV off the air. And they did it for, non other than, money. I have invaluable knowledge gained from this site. If it gets too crappy, I'll jump ship and know that I'll do just fine with another free app or creating a spreadsheet on my own. Power to the people!

• Im not talking about opinions im talking about facts. The business is out to make money bottom line is they were not making any so they had to make changes. Do we as users like them, of course not...Are the changes worth the money NO, where these the best courses of action for the company to take NO. But if they want to see change financially they had to do something. Personally I think they could have made a pleathera of other changes to increase revenue that would have been substantially more beneficial to both the user and their bank account...but it is what it is and now they have to deal with the repercussions of pissing off their already loyal users.
  • Business has one goal in mind. To make money. It's an unfortunate, harsh reality. I still want to strangle the douche bags that took G4TV off the air. And they did it for, non other than, money. I have invaluable knowledge gained from this site. If it gets too crappy, I'll jump ship and know that I'll do just fine with another free app or creating a spreadsheet on my own. Power to the people!

^^This^^ was all I was getting at, at the end of the day its a business and if they dont make money they are going to find away to do so... Now a days there is a dozen free apps out there trying to compete

• Yes, money over functionality seems to be their motive.

It is not a good model but they will learn at the expense of everyone if they don't fix it.
  • exactly...What will happen is users will pay or they will get fed up and leave. MFP has way too many issues that have not been addressed even in the paid version to warrant the $10 price tag...but Under Armor doesn't have heart in it they did not build it all they understand is they need to make $$$
  • Business has one goal in mind. To make money.

From my long association with several mega-organizations, I'd say corporations exist for one goal in mind; continued existence! Often that means making money because it keeps the investors happy, but older institutions are often grossly inefficient and expensive. But they will continue to exist as long as they have a user base.
  • This is true, right now MFP is considered the largest online/app based fitness entity of its kind. Sites like Fitocracy and WW cant compete. Until someone comes along that can compete MFP will continue to have a user base.
    Do some research and you will find many similar opinions.

- They ruined the nutritional view on the apps and made them more confusing and complicated when it was perfect before. opinion
    - They added an annoying pop-up announcing their Premium Plan. because they want you to buy it.

Functionality is being replaced with garbage opinion and they want people to pay a lot of money for the privilege of using it this is optional.

I don't see the big deal.

• "I don't see the big deal." - opinion
    "I don't see the big deal." - opinion

.....right
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    You are entitled to your opinion.

However, the majority of users that are affected by the changes and don't like it are signficant.
  • "if you dont like it".....Something about a door, how does that line go?
  • That would not leave many people left the way things are heading.