Fitness Buddies in NYC!

Hi everyone!
I recently moved to NYC around the same time I re-committed to living a healthy lifestyle and getting back to MFP! Would love to make some friends who share my goals and my new passion for exercise and being healthy!
About me:

28 yrs old, married with a fur baby pup.
Starting weight in June 2014: 149 lbs
Current weight: 141 lbs
Goal weight: 130 lbs

Right now I'm running, doing PiYo and doing a lot of research on lifting (but I'm scared!)!

Add me for support and motivation- (no matter where you live) let's do this!! :D (*)

Replies

• Yes it can be nerve wracking sometimes to walk to the weights side and be around a bunch of dudes. Some guy had the audacity to tell me to not lift so heavy because muscle won't look good on my frame. I didn't listen to him. I told my trainer the story and he said some guys are morons and don't know what they are talking about. Next time a guy wants to talk to me in the weight room i'll say i'm not looking for advice unless its to improve my form.

ANYWAY, It's actually empowering to be one of the few women in the weight room. You're throwing weight around with guys!!! It's pretty cool. The majority aren't even looking at you. I just wear my big headphones and listen to music. I DO sometimes just grab the weights i need and go to the dance studio or a quiet corner and just do my sets there. So consider doing that if you're too nervous. There's so many ways of working out a muscle that even if you don't have access to the necessary benches execute a certain lift you can substitute it with like a swiss ball or boxes, or those stepper things that is used in aerobic classes.