Still not losing weight doing IIFYM

I haven't lost any weight in months. I was told before that I wasn't eating enough to lose weight. So, I started doing IIFYM. I work out 6 days a week. Cardio 2 days and lifting 4. I use a Polar heart rate monitor for calories burned as they are very accurate. I'm weighing and tracking EVERYTHING I eat. (even vitamins)
I also take progress pictures and measurements, so not just depending on the scale. I've literately had no change in over 4 months. And its not muscle, because after 4 months of building muscle I would be able to tell it somewhere.
Any ideas??

oh fyi my Macros per IIFYM.com
calories:1764
carbs :246
Protein: 103
Fat: 41

Replies

• Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Okay, first: I am not a registered dietitian but I have been working with NASM certified trainer (on IIFYM and heavy weight lifting) for almost an entire year now. I have done MAJOR damage to my body/metabolism through under eating, yo-yo dieting, bulimia and being a cardio bunny. I can tell you right now YOU AREN'T EATING ENOUGH. You are tall (I am 5'2" and eating more than you). You have your protein waaaaaay too low. You should do at least 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight (for you at least 171grams).

Also, if you have kept your macros the same for the last four months and you aren't losing or gaining weight, it most likely is that your body has become accustomed to these macros (aka this is your current maintenance level). The idea behind IIFYM and heavy lifting together is to increase the macro intake as much as possible without gaining fat. With that said, it is a process of increasing and decreasing to gain that high level of macro intake. My best suggestion for you where you are at calorie wise, would be to increase. I know you want to lose weight but you would have to reduce your calories by a great amount in order to do that. So the other side of IIFYM and heavy weight lifting combined is that when you are "cutting" you don't have to go to the extremes of 1200 calories and large amounts of cardio. You have to build that up though and it TAKES A LOT OF TIME. You have to be patient, be OK with gaining weight and also open to the idea that you may have to tweak your macros constantly. But, once you find that spot (which it seems you have a good starting ground) you can increase SLOWLY to the highest possible intake while still maintaining weight.

This isn't a lot of info and like I said I am no EXPERT, but I've done my research, work with my coach and am constantly reading up on things. Best suggestion is to listen and watch BioLayne (Dr. Layne Norton) EVERYTHING. Sohee Lee is also another great person to listen/watch.

Hope I helped and if you do decide to cut your macros, my first suggestion would be to up the protein, lower the carbs and keep the fats about the same. Everyones ratio break down is different, I can't tell you what percentages to use and neither can anyone else. Give the macro rearranging a try for about a week or two and see what happens. LIFT HEAVY and if you decide to cut still, do it SLOWLY (5-10g a week), sometimes holding for two weeks at the same macro intake. It all depends on your bodies response!

Best of luck!!
  • I would suggest dropping calories by about 100 and give it 3-4 weeks and reevaluate at that time.
  • Your MFP food diary is empty for the last week or so. I didn't look beyond that. I assume that you are actually tracking your food somewhere. Another app, perhaps. (Forgive me if this is mentioned above. I didn't read every response to the original thread.)

If you are just monitoring your food intake by god and by guess and not literally tracking it in some written capacity (pencil and paper or another app or software program), then there's your problem right there.
  • ZOMBIE THREAD!!!
  • TR0berts wrote: »
    ZOMBIE THREAD!!!

Ah so! Well spotted TR0berts. I missed that.